Protestors in Oakland took over the highway this…
Protestors in Oakland took over the highway this week. The video footage is below. It’s unfortunate because Oakland really has no control over what they’re upset about. Oakland can’t change bank bailouts, unemployment, health care, or much else. These protestors either need to be in Sacramento or DC to influence the major decision makers.
Some arm chair mayor-ship here, but the Mayor of Oakland should:
- Announce the City of Oakland has rented 500 busses and 2 drivers per bus
- Each bus will drive to Washington DC, with only food/restroom breaks every 8 hours.
- Anyone who registers at a website will get a quick background and identity check, and then be allowed on the bus
- Load these 5000 people on the busses and funnel their energy away from the city and get it funneled towards the people they’re really angry at
- Protestors are gone and the city goes back to normal
- Cost savings because Oakland can stop paying overtime for police and avoid riot cleanup
- Local businesses don’t get shut down by protestors so they can resume normal business (and pay taxes on it)
- The port, a key economic driver for the city, is secure
- The Mayor scores major points from both local businesses and protestors
- If the movement actually goes somewhere, Oakland gets to take credit for funneling the energy